What Does “Constitutional” Mean?
Similar to our genetic makeup, TCM believes that everyone has their own uniqueness due to inherited and acquired influences. The term “constitution” is commonly used to describe your current health status and susceptibility to illness. The characteristics also determines your skin complexion, physique, personality traits and Yin-Yang balance.
The 4 common constitutional types include:
In order to address these types, techniques such as body gua sha, cupping, ear seeds or moxibustion are selected according to your constitution, with the aim to energise your body inside out.
What Treatments Are Used?
- Body Cupping and Gua Sha are therapy methods to increase blood circulation. Cupping works on a shallower level and help to relieve muscle tension. Gua sha on the other hand works on a deep level to improve overall blood flow and boost Yang qi in the body.
- Ear Seeds, also known as auriculotherapy, tiny seeds are placed on various points around the ear. The ear is basically a map for the entire human body and by stimulating different points, it can affect various parts of the body in positive ways.
- Moxibustion is a form of heat therapy that involves the burning of mugwort herb to facilitate healing. The purpose is to expel cold and warm the meridians, which leads to smoother flow of blood and qi. In addition, it can be used to maintain general health.
How Can Facial Acupuncture Help?
Once the body is energised, facial acupuncture is done to improve some of the common skin concerns, such as fine wrinkles, dynamic wrinkles and hyperpigmentation.
- Fine wrinkles usually form due to lack of moisture, accumulation of dead skin cells and decrease in collagen and elastin fibres. In order to improve signs of wrinkles, the needle will be inserted to the dermis layer of the skin to stimulate collagen production.
- Dynamic wrinkles on the other hand, are usually deeper and caused by contraction of muscles that are attached to the overlying skin. The common ones include crow’s feet, laugh lines and forehead lines. For these deeper wrinkles, the needling depth will be slightly deeper in order to reach the muscle layer to loosen the tension of the muscles.
- Hyperpigmentation is caused the increased melanin concentration in basal keratinocytes and chronic inflammation in the epidermis layer of the skin. Acupuncture on the local area will help to accelerate the qi and blood circulation to improve the clearance of melasma overtime.
With this treatment, you don’t need to worry about downtime and you will find yourself leaving the clinic recharged!
Book an appointment for this Constitutional Facial Acupuncture exclusively at NUH Medical Centre.